The Centralia Historical Society is housed in a Victorian (Queen Anne Style) house that was built in 1904 by Centralia Pharmacist, R. L. Hope and his wife Belle Downing Hope. In 1908, it was purchased by Charles Early family, bank president. The A.B. Chance family purchased the home in 1923 and lived here until his death in 1949.
The Centralia Area Historical Society is a community-supported non-profit organization, dedicated to collecting historically-significant information, materials and artifacts related to the establishment and the growth of Centralia, Illinois and the surrounding area. Our collection is maintained and displayed for study, education and enjoyment by the public. The Museum is located in the historic Kohl & Meyer building at Locust and 3rd Streets, which once served the area as a wholesale grocery warehouse.